Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

Not this guy.

http://www.wittenburgdoor.com/driscoll-kicks-own-ass

In the process of becoming a pastor and retaining my femininity and individuality, on my 20th birthday last Monday one of my best friends got me a small 'my little pony'. I plan on taking Sweetie Belle with me everywhere.

I think that overall what Mark Driscoll is saying is very interesting. Sure, I've noticed a growing trend towards men being less 'manly' (in the redneck sense of the word - not so much participating in the caber toss as staying inside and reading a good book or playing the guitar), but does this really mean they're not 'warriors'?

One of the things that I truly admire in any guy I meet is his spirit and his faith. Some of the men I've had the privilege of meeting aren't manly in Driscoll's definition, but their warrior spirit in their faith is astounding and is truly something that makes the devil shake in his boots. So what if a pastor prefers to read instead of chewing tobacco and playing tackle football with no equipment?
I call him smart, not a sissy. A man who is more connected and not afraid to show his sensitive side is a whole lot stronger than one who is. They open themselves up more, are not afraid to be vulnerable - which is the greatest show of strength I have ever seen. Not punching oneself in the face.

And if Mark Driscoll is saying pastors need to be more manly, what does it mean for those of us women that have been called to pastoral roles? Should I start taking up smoking and riding around a motorcycle, cut my hair short and start dressing like a man to conform to Driscoll's notion of what a leader in the church should be? I don't think so.
Good leadership isn't in what the person wears, their hygiene habits, and how much muscle they have built up. It's in the heart, the will to serve and submit themselves to God's people.

No comments: